Searching for a God Particle- A Parable

We sit in the art gallery, silent yet full of beauty. The guest artist has promised to make an appearance. The doors open admitting a socially awkward entourage of irreverent natural scientists who use a bullhorn to tell us that they are hiring lab rats to help them find the God particle. Any of us in the gallery who wishes to work for a handsome hourly wage is part of the research team. The lead scientist demonstrates our task. With a blade he scrapes a bit of paint from the canvas of one of the masterpieces. He deposits the paint flakes into a glass dish, adds thinner, mixes to an even consistency then smears it on a slide. “Take your time; prepare small smears; We are looking for something quite small; and you are being paid by the hour.”

The lead scientist tells us to start with those parts of the paintings that most likely would represent God – the light rays filtering through the fir grove, the artist’s signature, or the gilded dome on the distant horizon. A pantheistic looking girl ignores him and starts to scrape some mossy rocks along the banks of a stream. A materialist scrapes gold leaf from the dome, and while the natural scientists peer into their microscopes, he deposits the gold into a baggy stashing it in his pants. Most of the scrapers dutifully smear slides stacking them beside the microscopes, filling out their tedious forms, a grave sense of historical importance on their faces.

I sit on the viewing bench, my scalpel in hand unable to join the others at the canvases. I slide around to face the opposite wall to gaze at the unscathed paintings. I imagine the curator storming into the gallery ordering the guards to escort the desecrators to her office. In time she enters, smiles and chats with the lead scientist, taking her turn at his microscope. I learn later that the natural scientists and the museum have been rewarded an impressive grant to conduct this research together.

The painting directly before me depicts a horizon. The sky is orange and vast. The earth is yellow. The line between is thin and straight. I can see for miles. I wonder how it is that the artist can capture with the variation of two colors and one black line the immensity of nature. I find myself drawn into the painting walking rapidly away from the scraping pigment and the clicking of slides. The minimalist’s world of yellow and orange is focused upon the distant horizon stirring an expectation for some cataclysmic event or an eschatological figure arising from the thin, straight line. From where do these images and longings arise? They are certainly not painted. Are they figments of my imagination? I decide to wait for the artist who will answer the question for me. The artist will explain to me what is not painted but seems to be powerfully present.

On the bench beside me is a brochure, a guide to the exhibit. I read the section describing the painting before me. The artist quotes, “Do you believe because you have seen? Blessed are those who have not seen but believe.” It is as if the artist anticipated the scraping behind me. While his quote doesn’t completely answer my question, it does make sense as I observe the painting. My strong desire is to walk to the end of the yellow, rise above the line and explore the orange. But then, orange is my favorite color.

Published in: Parables | on February 7th, 2013 | 7 Comments »

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://nathanlewis.org/2013/02/07/searching-for-a-god-particle-a-parable/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

7 Comments Leave a comment.

1. On 2/10/2013 at 3:45 pm Isaiah Said:

What is a God Particle? I am a little confused. Also I like how you quote Jesus in your last paragraph. Is the artist supposed to be Jesus in this case?

2. On 2/11/2013 at 9:02 am Charlie Said:

The God Particle is the nickname for the Higgs boson, which was predicted to exist in the 1960’s by several different particle physicists.
    It earned its nickname from the title of the book “The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?” a 1993 popular science book by Nobel laureate Leon Lederman. Lederman said he gave nicknamed the particle because it is “so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive”, but he added that in addition, “the publisher wouldn’t let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing.”
    The search for this particle inspired the many high-energy physics experiments and even the construction of multi-billion dollar supercolliders to conduct these experiments. Finally in 2012 a previously unknown particle was discovered, whose properties are still being studied to determine whether it is the elusive particle.
    In the context of this allegory, the “God Particle” is something whose existence is said to prove the existence of God. But no such claim has been made for the Higgs boson; and in fact, many physicists are unhappy with the use of this sensational nickname.
    For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Particle.

3. On 2/28/2013 at 9:14 am Austin Said:

This is a good commentary on the seeming human need for “proof”. We continually are picking apart our universe in search of definitive answers to the big questions of the universe, when the beauty and order of the universe provides the answer. All creation ultimately points to God, and yet we continually try to prove otherwise.

4. On 3/4/2013 at 9:07 am svna Said:

This is a great blog. I love it. Every single day this blog is my best friend. here is a poem about how much i love it.

This is my teacher’s blog
    It is big like a fat hog
    It shows Mr Lewis is super smart
    I think it is like a work of art
    I didn’t even read every single post
    But I know I love this blog the most
    Because it is nice
    And cool like ice
    But not in a bad way
    I want to hug this blog everyday.

5. On 3/4/2013 at 9:22 am Isaac Said:

This was very very insiteful.

6. On 3/4/2013 at 9:23 am svna Said:

Okay in all seriousness though, I think I might understand. I am not sure though. I’ll ask you about it when you get back. Sounds pretty deep though. Nice job.

7. On 3/4/2013 at 9:26 am Emily Southgate Said:

This is a very interesting parable. Who does the lead scientist represent?